https://web.archive.org/web/20220311020340/http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nswmn/

https://web.archive.org/web/20220311020340/http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nswmn/
Above photo is my Gosford complete with the Overhead. Click on the photo to see the Main North Album at Flickr

Friday, June 24, 2022

How Lucky are we Model Railroaders.


Yesterday, Friday the 24th of June I was invited by Bob, one of my train mates to a Meeting of his group of model railroaders that have been meeting for years for a lunch & a catch up. I have been included into Bob's group as a Visitor, a local & somewhat familiar with DCC & electrics. I hope the others don't mind. I am a member of a few other groups where we used to run trains prior to Covid, once a month, the Friday Night Ramblers at Eureka Models, the NMRA & SCMRA.  

These daytime Meetings there's a little running of trains but more importantly the host kindly provides lunch mostly from the BBQ. The Host obviously gets a hand with what is served up but Members bring grog & lots of cakes. 

I've had the privelidge of Meetings at Bob & other Members homes but today I saw another one.

John has a Shed in his backyard for his very finely detailed O Scale layout where all rolling stock & locos were scratchbuilt/kitbashed. We're all getting too stiff for the Duck Under, so I don't know how you do it John. I did ask Bob, John was into HO with layout/s in the spare bedroom etc years ago & before that as a Collector. Some years ago he ventured into O scale. 

The Members here in this group organize trips away etc. I remember Bob going to Melbourne with the Group to see Puffing Billy that was instrumental in him now modelling Puffing Billy HOn3? Just today Ross was organizing a compartment in a train to the Maitland Steamfest. 
Members of the group are shown in the photo outside John's Shed.

While in years gone by, train talk & plenty of Banter was the conversation, today there was a bit on men's health. It is a sign of the times. One of the group Kev, I met when I was working for Qantas.

Ross bought a DVD along on Steam on the South by ARHS but we ran out of time. 

We are indeed lucky to have so many model railway friends. The comradery in the Hobby is one of the things I treasure the most. Thanks Bob for including me & taking me under your wing today. I will pass on the trips but would love to host a get together one day. Quite unusual, I was very quiet today, even with a mobile, I didn't take any photos. 

John thanks a lot for the great get together.    

2 comments:

  1. Marcus, thanks for the write up and it was a pleasure to get you out for the day and enjoy the company of other railroaders. We have a good day together. Victorian narrow gauge is scheduled for the next get together. Glad you could make it to share the day with us.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bob. Thanks for the day out & I'm looking forward to my visit on the Victorian Narrow Gauge soon. Regards Marcus.

    ReplyDelete